Saturday, October 08, 2011

Weekend Baking - Apple & Pili Cake with Caramel Topping

Hello!

It's a rainy Saturday.  The weather made me want to curl up on the sofa with my sewing project and a cup of hot black tea.  But it was impossible because Perry's yaya took a leave today so I had to do her chores (e.g. laundry) while taking care of my baby.  Fortunately, in the afternoon, I got a chance to bake while my dear hubby is holding and playing with Perry.

I wanted to start a tradition of baking something special for my family every weekend.  For the month of October,  I chose to bake apples and cinnamon in celebration of autumn.  I know, we only have sunny and rainy days here in our country.  But I want my baby to grow knowing the four seasons and aware of the exciting surprises that each season brings.

For this weekend, I'm sharing with you Apple & Pili Cake with Caramel Topping.


Apple & Pili Cake:

2 medium sized Granny Smith apples
1/2 cup Pili nuts chopped

Dry Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Wet Ingredients:

2 eggs
1/2 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Caramel Topping:

1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 tablespoon heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3 tablespoons butter


Procedure:

1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease pan.
2.Combine and mix together all dry ingredients in a bowl.
3. In another bowl, mix the eggs with a hand mixer until light and foamy.  Add oil and vanilla gradually as you continue beating the eggs.
4. Stir in the mixed dry ingredients with a spoon until the flour mixture disappears.
5. Add the apples and pili nuts and mix into the batter.
6. Scrape batter into the pan and bake for 40-45 minutes.
Prepare the caramel topping while waiting for the cake.
7. Combine all caramel ingredients in a saucepan.  Stir to dissolve sugar.  (I made a mistake here by not dissolving sugar before cooking over the fire, thus the sugary topping in the pictures)
8. Once the sugar is dissolved, cook over low heat, stirring continuously until the mixture comes to a gentle boil. Cook for 3 - 5 minutes more.
9. Spoon the hot caramel over the still hot-from-the-oven cake.  Let the cake cool completely before serving.



My family enjoyed it despite the sugary topping.  We paired it with Twinings Apple, Cinnamon, & Raisin Flavored Black Tea.

Yummy! It is a perfect partner for your afternoon tea, specially on a cold and rainy day.  How do you spend your stormy days? What traditions are you practicing or starting with your family?

Share with us your take on my recipe through the comment box.  Be sure to mention your post's link too if you have a blog.  Have fun baking! =D


No comments:

Post a Comment